Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Garden update


The melon vine trying to take over the world - or at least the vege patch!

We have melons!!! There are about 4 bigger ones and a handful of tiny ones on the vine. It's the first time I've grown melons, so I'm pretty excited - if only I could remember what type I planted lol.

The peas & snow peas are growing well. I also have a pumpkin vine that's growing - it has some flowers on, but no fruit at this stage. It was a seed planted out of a store-bought butternut as an experiment, so we'll just have to wait and see. There are also some volunteer potatoes growing up in the vege patch - no idea how much is underneath!



I finally got around to planting the seeds that I'm raising as seedlings - broccoli, cauliflower, silverbeet, lettuce, parsley, oregano, basil. For some reason I've been putting it off for a month - I think because I've always just direct sowed or bought seedlings and I'm scared I'll stuff it up - it took me about 20 mins from scratch once I got a round 'tuit'! I don't think I'm keeping it moist enough though so I'm going to rig up some sort of glasshouse with a sheet of plastic.

5 comments:

The Bradd Family said...

Yummo!!

lightening said...

The melons are looking great Kez. I tried to grow seedings in egg cartons and failed miserably. I think it might have been the inconsistent watering. *sigh* I figure I'll focus on babysteps with my gardening. Start with buying seedlings (and a few easy to raise straight in the garden bed type seeds) and progress to raising my own seedlings one day....

Anonymous said...

I like your melon. I have never successfully grown melons.

Kate

Kez said...

You should see the size of the melons now - I think they've doubled in size since the weekend!!! I have no idea when they're ready to pick though!!

The Tin House said...

Kez, I can't believe it...I've been away for what seems like five minutes and you've been madly gardening, not spending and filmmaking all at once. Very impressive array of posts to catch up on! Thanks. Lisa x