Sunday, May 17, 2009

Our week of learning - 17th May


We've been doing a fair bit of "tv schooling" for the last few weeks. I'm incorporating the ABC school shows into our morning's work - I watch them with him so I can answer any questions or know what's going to come up in discussion! He's watching the shows designed for his age, but also ones aimed at middle & upper primary as well. This week ranged from spelling rules, rap music, telling time, life in Holland, how planes work, building cubby houses, healthy living, making friends, and emus!

English: Lots of reading. We discussed several spelling rules (plurals, -ing, and prefixes dis & re).

Maths: MEP lessons (77, 88, 89, 102, 103). We're moving ahead with the MEP curriculum by pulling some lessons out that he either hadn't done before or that I thought he needed more practice on. He has been very silly lately doing his worksheets and when I was talking to him about why he was acting up, it seems that he thinks the work is too easy and he's bored. So full-steam ahead on some stuff that's a bit more challenging!

Science & Technology: Back to our Australian animals unit - we read some books about the Platypus and he added another page to his powerpoint presentation.

HSIE (Human Society and it's environment): We watched half a National Geographic video on Australian Aborigines.

Creative & Practical Arts: Drama class. Plus he made a couple of masks using paper plates, and has started making one of his face out of plaster-of-paris (he made a flour & water dough that he could imprint his face in as the mold, then we filled it up with plaster).

LOTE (Languages other than English): Time & days of the week in Spanish.

PDHPE (Personal Development, Health & Physical Education): Auskick training and circus class, plus we did a 3km walk together around the neighbourhood.

Life skills (cooking, gardening, housekeeping): It doesn't sound like much, but he finally opened a can with the can opener by himself! He hasn't had the strength and/or dexterity to do it before now! He's also been doing some chores around the house.

2 comments:

emma.jean said...

Hi Kez,

Do you use any websites like Mathletics or Smartkiddies? My 8yo DS wants me to buy a subscription for him, but I can't decide which one to go with.

Kez said...

Emma, I'm saving up for a subscription to Mathletics atm. My niece uses it so I've had a demo of how it works, and B was most enthusiastic about getting it! (I haven't seen the other one though). I'm hoping to get it before end of June so I can claim it on the education rebate!