Sunday, May 03, 2009

Our week of Learning - 3rd May


This week has been so busy! All of Billy's regular activities (plus a few extras) started back the term - he's still doing drama & circus, but now Auskick (Australian Rules Football) has started back, plus he's joined Joeys (the youngest group of Boy Scouts). I'm sure I remember being a parent who said I'd only let my child do one activity at a time!!

English: Only a bit of copywork this week. We're roughly working through a "Seussology" unit - we read about Dr Seuss's life and Billy answered some comprehension questions. He then chose "Fox in Socks" to base a theme-park attraction around, and we read it (again) together. Lots of other reading each night as well.

Maths: MEP lessons.

Science & Technology: Australian animals unit - their habitat, lifecycle, diet, classification etc. We read about Kangaroos, and he added a page about them into his Powerpoint presentation.

HSIE (Human Society and it's environment): As well as learning about Aboriginal lifestyle at the Awabakal day, he made a Powerpoint presentation about Simpson & his donkey at Gallipoli. We also watched a documentary on the Aztecs (for no other reason than it was on and looked interesting!)

Creative & Practical Arts: Drama class started again. They also worked with modelling clay at Joeys, and he's been playing around creating music at a couple of websites.

LOTE (Languages other than English): Spanish got left behind this week - it was supposed to be on Friday but after a busy week we spent the day outside in the sun instead. Oh well, I don't think life will stop if he learns to say "My name is Billy" in Spanish this week or next!

PDHPE (Personal Development, Health & Physical Education): Lots of movement this week - the 3 hour bushwalk at Awabakal, Auskick training and circus class!

Life skills (cooking, gardening, housekeeping): He did a reasonable job of dusting in the loungeroom. We didn't have much time for anything else.

1 comment:

Suji said...

"I'm sure I remember being a parent who said I'd only let my child do one activity at a time!!"

Oh that never happens does it? LOL! Every semester I swear and every semester I cave in. Sounds like he's having fun though and that's always good.