Thursday, April 14, 2011

Heaven - for some...


I'm doing another writing course next month and as preparation for it, we've been given a couple of movies to watch.  One is a Richard Gere movie, Shall We Dance, the other is the BBC's Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth.  All 5 hours of it...

To some - this is heaven.  I've borrowed the DVDs from my niece who swears its the best thing ever.  For me - pure hell.  I studied Pride & Prejudice for the HSC back when I was at school.  Hated it.  Hated every single minute of it.  Sitting watching 5 hours of it??!  Arrrggghhhh!

Actually it will be interesting to see if my opinions of it have changed in the *ahem* 20-odd years since I read the book.  How much of my dislike of the book was influenced by my dislike of the teacher who loved anything Jane Austen?

But still - 5 hours??!

Oh, and I'm doing another writing course this month - which luckily does not involve watching Pride and Prejudice :)  Its on Creating Memorable Characters and I'm finding it very useful.  Now if only I could write without thinking 'this is crap'..

4 comments:

Libby said...

The TV series really is the BEST. I'll be amazed if you don't love it.

Dove's Rest said...

HA!
I love the awkward human relationship moments, the inappropriate behaviours for that time, the way different characters explained their opinions and feelings on mainly other people. I loved Emma, You might like Lost In Austen more than this series though. Modern day girl goes back in time and switches places with Elizabeth Bennett. Good luck sitting through 5 hours of pure hell (to you) I long got the day I have 5 hours again. I'd love to know how it goes, heheheheee Take care, Renelle

jugglingpaynes said...

I second Libby's comment. You will love Pride and Prejudice. You might come away wishing it had been longer. :o)

Peace and Laughter!

Kez said...

Am I the only one out there to NOT like Jane Austen??! lol

Renelle - I don't have 5 hrs to sit and watch it straight through either, even if I wanted to. It'll probably be an hour at a time.