Thursday, September 27, 2012

Offline October - clarifications

I meant to add this to the post yesterday.  To clear up any confusion, you're allowed 1 hr each day on the internet. 

Excluded from that hour is anything work related - so for me, I'm excluding time spent on the internet for my web design work, survey sites (I do some online surveys for extra income), and ebay sales.  All of which produce some income for me.  I just have to make sure I don't cheat!

I'm still to clarify whether writing blog posts offline counts towards the time :)

Given that I can quite easily spend several hours each day on Facebook and forums I'm on, it's certainly going to be tough.  I'm already seeing which sites / threads I value most and which are just habit.  I know I can do it - I spend less time than one hour checking my email etc while I'm away because I'm paying for the data!  Some days I don't even check it while I'm on holidays. 

It really is just habit.  I need a break - I get on the computer.  It will be about finding other things to do instead of mindlessly jumping on here.  It will mean having a plan when I do get on, not mindlessly surfing.

Wish me luck :)

2 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

I wish you lots of luck. :o)
My daughter does a good job of limiting my computer time lately. If I'm on my social networks longer than half an hour, it's an unusually mellow day.

I don't know what I would do without my Google Reader though. My weakness is my need to keep up on blogs!

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

Mel said...

I'm exactly the same re using it as 'down time' - after being out and about the first thing I do when I get home is check facebook - when really I should be grabbing a cuppa and working on some productive project or working on my assignments!!!!

I will consider joining in with you for this... do me good!